Produce specialist needed for Kindred Market, a new natural foods grocery store coming soon to Athens, Ohio. We are seeking someone who is passionate about healthy eating, sustainable farming practices, and the locavore food movement. This individual will be responsible for maintaining a clean, fresh, attractive, and enticing produce department using locally sourced produce, as much as possible.
· Manage produce department activities related to stocking, pricing and rotation of merchandise.
· Establish and maintain relationships with produce suppliers including local farmers and national distributors.
· Assist in ordering, receiving, display, and sale of produce in accordance to company quality and merchandising standards.
· Collaborate with general manager to develop pricing plan and marketing plan.
· Assist in developing marketing events and other promotional activities to maximize sales and profits.
· Ensure that produce department is clean and safe while complying with all federal, state and local laws.
· Ensure customer satisfaction by providing friendly service as well as resolving customer concerns and problems in timely manner.
· Supervise and train produce team members in policies and product knowledge.
· Fill in, if needed, at other positions in the store including running the cash register, stocking non-produce groceries, etc.
This is a full-time, direct-hire position.The schedule will be designed around produce suppliers’ delivery schedules and confirmed during negotiations. Hours will be 35 per week and may involve some evenings and weekends. Wages are negotiable and commensurate with qualifications.
· 3+ years’ relevant work experience
· Physically capable of handling the duties of the job including lifting at least 50 pounds regularly
· Excellent communication and organization skills
· Self-motivated and able to work effectively with minimal supervision
· Dedicated to food quality and control
· Strong knowledge of proper produce handling and sanitation standards
· Interest in and knowledge of health food trends